I really needed to do SOMETHING related to my garden. I remembered that the landlord didn't want me to break ground until he saw what I was planning...I had thought to outline the areas I planned to use with sticks and string, but I decided that I was going to do something a bit more impressive.
I decided to chart out exactly what I planned to do with the backyard.
Last year, Sean and I had gone out and measured the entire property in order to get an idea of what kind of space I had to work with. I still had the measurements - and I had graph paper. It took hours, but I finally managed to come out with something I am proud of.
Here's the graph showing the available space in our backyard (the shaded areas are areas that can't be used for planting - sidewalk, central air unit, entrance to crawl space, etc.:
The sketch is to scale - the four garden beds measure 25 feet by 4 feet, so each bed is 100 square feet. As you can see, they should not be visible from the street (which is something the landlord requested).
Then I decided to draw out each bed in more detail, to figure out what I was going to plant in what bed. This one was harder, because I couldn't just draw plants in there willy-nilly - I had to check with each seed packet and find out how much space was needed for each plant, and which plant needs full sun and which needs partial sun...it was a nightmare. I also had to sort the seeds by height - the taller plants needed to be north-facing, the shorter plants on the southern side of the garden. This prevents the taller plants from shading the shorter plants and stealing their much needed sunlight.
Now, I know this will probably bore a lot of people, so feel free to skip the next part if you want to. I'm going to post pics of each garden bed individually - this way, even if I lose the paper I drew this on, I still have a readable record of the work.
(Bed 1 - northernmost bed)
If I have any gardeners reading this blog, please comment and let me know what you think of this.