13 December 2010

The weather has been bad all weekend.  It started out raining on Friday, which froze when the sun went down.  Saturday started with more rain, which turned to sleet and then snow by evening.  Temps began to fall Sunday night, and I warned the boys that they would have to dress warmly for school the next day.

Monday morning arrives, and Jacob comes to the table in shorts and a tank top.  And James had a tee-shirt on.

Seriously?

I made them march back into their room to put on appropriate clothing for the weather.  It ended up being one of the few days I had to pick out the younger kids clothing.  I stilled their complaints by explaining how cold it was outside, but they didn't really comprehend how cold it was until I opened the window.  One blast of arctic air and they changed their minds in a hurry!

As they dressed, I explained to them that the school has been closed all weekend and that the heater was off.  The school is going to be VERY chilly this morning, and they are going to want to have layers on.  As I explained this, I remembered my mother explaining the very same thing to me as a child.  I also remembered how grateful I was to her when I got to school and discovered she was right - the school was only about 40 degrees inside.  It warmed up over the day, but thanks to her dressing me in layers, I remained comfortable the whole day through.

Great...now I feel like I'm turning into my mother.

2 comments:

Grandma Debbie said...

Now it can't be that bad to turn into your mother ...look at what a fine young woman she raised.

Patricialynn said...

~blushes~ Thanks, Debbie!